07 – Gratefully Sing His Wonderful Love
Worship is Holistic
- The Shema – Deuteronomy 6
- The Greatest Commandment – Mark 12
- The Woman at the Well – John 4
- Living Sacrifices – Romans 12
Four vehicles of worship
We can worship God with our thoughts, with our deeds, with our attitudes, and with our devotion. There is a complex overlapping of these vehicles (much like the overlapping of red, green, and blue light to create all possible colors of light). All worship practices originate from heart, soul, mind, and strength.
However, when any of these vehicles is used intentionally much more than the others, it will lead toward unhealthy worship practices.
The Antinomian view of worship
The view that God’s love for us is of utmost importance. The idea that we should primarily focus on what God has done for me. Valuing declared love over true obedience.
The Charismatic view of worship
The view that feelings are of utmost importance. The idea that we should primarily focus on achieving a closeness to God. Valuing personal experience over actual spiritual growth.
The Legalistic view of worship
The view that action is of utmost importance. The idea that we should primarily focus on our work for God. Valuing the letter of the law over the spirit of the law.
The Gnostic view of worship
The view that knowledge is of utmost importance. The idea that we should primarily focus on learning and understanding God. Valuing knowing about God over knowing God.
All four of these views of worship are idolatrous and worship the vehicle rather than use the vehicle to worship God. However, when God remains the focus of worship, while the worshipper may be inclined toward one vehicle, he will be drawn to seek God through the others as well.
- Join the conversation on Slack! http://slack.techreformation.com
- The Lightest Form of Flogging – Translation episode
- Mark Lowry – Seat of the Emotions
- The Bible Project – The Shema
- Praise Songs about Love
- Babylon Bee – Power Of God Waits In Church Foyer Until Chorus Of ‘Holy Spirit’
- The Heidelblog – Your Honor, The Prosecution Rests