21 – I Will Sing of My Redeemer: Introduction of the Psalm Model and Using the Psalms as a Songwriting Guide
Updates here at the Balmcast.com. Check out the new Resources section.
What is the Psalm Model?
We have talked about the Psalm Model as a way to shape writing worship music (Type 1). The Psalms contain:
- Ancient Near Eastern poetry
- Songs written for corporate worship
- Songs written by individuals
- Songs of praise and lamentation
- Songs of thanksgiving and petition
- Songs about the future work of Christ
- Songs reflecting the Truth of Scripture
- Songs reflecting God’s glory and beauty
- Songs commanding to sing new songs
We believe that music meant for worship follow this model.
Next week: Lament
Thanks for listening
The Balm of Gilead podcast is a member of the Tech Reformation family of podcasts. If you enjoy the show, please share it with others. We enjoy hearing from you, so join us on the Tech Reformation Slack and let us know what you’re thinking. If email is more your thing, write to us at thereis <at> balmcast <dot> com. Thanks again and we’ll see you next time, Lord willing.